Karomed offers a full auditing service, using The Mount Vernon Criteria* . This thorough procedure is outlined below for your reference.
The Fist Test
- To test the bottoming out, the top of the mattress should beat the level of the tester’s greater trochanter. The cover and foam inner should be complete.
- Link the fingers of both hands to form a fist. Keeping the elbows straight, lean the body forward and test at six identified points:
- Both upper and lower corners.
- Either side of where the sacrum would fit.
- If the base of the mattress is felt, the mattress has failed.
The Outer Cover
- Check for any discontinuity which would allow spillages to seep through to the foam i.e. needlestick punctures, orthopaedic pin punctures, tears at the corners etc.
- Check for excessive staining.
- Check the cover is the right size for the mattress.
Open or Remove the cover to check if the foam core is:-
- Wet or stained.
- Deformed or collapsing.
If the foam fails on any of these points it is removed immediately.
*sited in D. Gray & M. Campbell, A randomised Clinical Trial of Two Types of Foam Mattress, Journal of Tissue Viability 1994: 4(4). 128 – 132